Main muscle: traps
- Grasp a cable bar attachment that is attached to a low pulley with a shoulder width or slightly wider overhand (palms facing down) grip.
- Stand erect close to the pulley with your arms extended in front of you holding the bar. This will be your starting position.
- Lift the bar by elevating the shoulders as high as possible as you exhale. Hold the contraction at the top for a second. Tip: The arms should remain extended at all times. Refrain from using the biceps to help lift the bar. Only the shoulders should be moving up and down.
- Lower the bar back to the original position.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
Variations: You can perform this exercise with bands, barbells or dumbbell. You can also use a single handle and work one side at a time.