Main muscle: calves
- Place a block about 12 inches in front of a flat bench.
- Sit on the bench and place the ball of your feet on the block.
- Have someone place a barbell over your upper thighs about 3 inches above your knees and hold it there. This will be your starting position.
- Raise up on your toes as high as possible as you squeeze the calves and as you breathe out.
- After a second contraction, slowly go back to the starting position. Tip: To get maximum benefit stretch your calves as far as you can.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
Variations: You can use the smith machine or the seated calf raise machine in order to perform this exercise. Alternatively, you can also use dumbbells by placing one on top of each thigh.