Main muscle: shoulders
- While holding a dumbbell in one hand, lay with your chest down on a flat bench. The other hand can be used to hold to the leg of the bench for stability.
- Position the palm of the hand that is holding the dumbbell in a neutral manner (palms facing your torso) as you keep the arm extended with the elbow slightly bent. This will be your starting position.
- Now raise the arm with the dumbbell to the side until your elbow is at shoulder height and your arm is roughly parallel to the floor as you exhale. Tip: Maintain your arm perpendicular to the torso while keeping your arm extended throughout the movement. Also, keep the contraction at the top for a second.
- Slowly lower the dumbbell to the starting position as you inhale.
- Repeat for the recommended amount of repetitions.
Variations: You can perform this exercise with both arms at the same time and also keeping the palms of the hands facing back as opposed to facing your torso.